Friday, June 29, 2007

Fell, Vol. 1: “Feral City” by Warren Ellis, Illustrated by Ben Templesmith

You can thank my local crack dealer for this one. Well, not really a crack dealer, he sells comics. Comics have become my new little addiction and it can give me the same zone out brainspace I usually can only achieve with stupid movies or sci-fi television. Anyway, I was in the local comic store when I spotted Fell issue 8 and picked it up. I was standing there, all bummed that I had missed out on the early issue of this series when the comic store guy hands me this volume of the first eight stories all so sweetly bound in a hardcopy edition. That guy is so evil.

Fell is about Detective Richard Fell who has been transferred to the bad side of the river for reasons that have yet to be determined. Snowtown is the demon child of urban decay. It is a city in fear; crime is so rampant that the police force has little effect to stamp it out. Most crimes go unreported and the ones that do, go mostly unsolved. Criminals are not afraid of the police as they are understaffed, burned out, and generally insane in some fashion. It is sort of like Gotham City but without the superheroes to get in the way. The only monsters in this story are the human ones. Fell is a good detective who can talk a bomber out of blowing up a building or get a confession out of someone who knows that they don’t have any evidence to convict. He uses logic to create order out of a world that only knows chaos. It all your favourite crime dramas and film noirs and urban decay stories all rolled up into one.

The art in this series deserves a paragraph all of its own. I could spend hours just absorbing the artwork of Ben Templesmith. There no smooth lines or perfect glossy finishes in this book. The lines have a frenetic energy that tell you that this is not a simple, colouring inside the lines, type of world. It is dirty, it is messy, and very human in its lowest form. The boy has talent.

All I can say is that I think this is the best series I’ve read since Sandman sucked me into this medium. It is the type that wants you to tell all your friends about it and make them read it just so that you can have someone to share it with. It is the type that makes you want to devour each chapter but also, you force yourself to enjoy it slowly because you know that once you finish the eighth chapter, you won’t have anymore until they print volume two. There better be a second volume.

No comments: