Saturday, April 22, 2006

If I Knew, Don't You Think I'd Tell You by Jann Arden

This one will also be a quickie although this book deserves a lot more attention than just a review by little ole’ me. But I’m sure it is okay with the press it has gotten in the past. Not that I dare presume to know what a book thinks or doesn’t think. Basically I’m tired and it has been a long day. I’d also like to start another book... so many on the go...

But we must get to the reason we are here, to discuss the selected journal entries of Jann Arden. I want to state right now that I liked this book and somewhat tempted to pick up her second as well. In this one, we get her musing on her life and the world as Jann sees it. Basically, daily thoughts, some funny, some poignant, some just everyday stuff you could read in anyone’s blog. But she definitely has a style about her writing that is full of emotion, especially when she writes about those she has loved and lost, like her grandmother or an aunt, or very personal accounts of her childhood growing up in Alberta.

The only problem I had with it is that it always felt like she was keeping us at arms length. It was as if she wasn’t comfortable letting so many people into her life on such an intimate level (not that I blame her one bit.) I just wanted to read more inane stuff about her life; the little weird things that go on in her world that must be very surreal. The crazy, the drama. It is would have made it feel a lot more personal to me. It was definitely personal but in some ways, also very the public face to the whole Jann Arden celebrity world. Or that could just be the Canadian coming out in her and we can’t blame her for that.

Perhaps her second book will give the inanity that I’m looking for. Not that it will matter, as I will likely love it anyway.

My rating: :-D :-D :-)

No comments: